What to do after the race:
Check out the participating venues on the Spook Hill Wine Tasting Trail!
Spook Hill Wine Trail -
The participating wineries on the Spook Hill Wine Trail are all wonderful in their own right! Most locations are offering Spook Hill participants special deals on race day - go to the "home" page tab above to see the confirmed specials. All specials are subject to change without notice.
- Distillery Lane Ciderworks is located across the street from Spook Hill's traditional race day HQ. Pick up hard or sweet cider and fresh-picked apples! Spook Hill Special: Buy one get one 50% off on hard cider purchases, either by the glass or by the bottle. (DLC is only open to the public the weekend of Spook Hill in 2023!)
- Boordy Vineyards has been making Maryland wines for more than 7 decades and is based out of Baltimore County, but they grow many of their grapes here in Burkittsville on the eastern shoulder of South Mountain. Boordy will be in Burkittsville this year offering complementary tastings at Spook Hill, and offering bottle sales, but you're always encouraged to visit their beautiful Baltimore County tasting room!
- Antietam Creek Vineyards is nestled next to Antietam National Battlefield in Sharpsburg. Opened to the public in 2017, their petit verdot was highlighted by US wine expert Richard Leahy during Maryland's TasteCamp 2017, as both "fresh and lively" and "stylish." Opens at noon. Spook Hill Special: Two for the price of One tastings!
- Willow Oaks Craft Cider and Wines opened in 2017 and is nestled in a wonderful location mere minutes from Spook Hill HQ. Try their small batch, organic wines and ciders in their newly renovated barn/tasting room/art gallery. Opens at 11 a.m. SPECIAL: TBD
- Orchid Cellar Meadery and Winery in nearby Middletown offers many different mead, hard seltzers, and wines in a beautiful setting overlooking the Middletown Valley. Orchid Cellar's log-framed tasting room also has the artwork of many local artisans displayed throughout. If you've never tasted mead, here's your chance to get hooked! Opens at noon. SPECIAL: TBD
- Mazzaroth Vineyard is a small, boutique winery just north of Middletown that is open only by appointment only. Call 301-639-0303
- Hungry? Stop by participating restaurant, the Little Red Barn Ice Cream Cafe in Jefferson and show your race bib for a free kiddie-size (which is truly enough for an adult) cup of soft-serve ice cream. Opens at 11:00
van Gilder Pottery - at the top of the mountain!
SMHS will again be holding it's annual
used book sale, each Saturday every October. Have books at home you want to donate? Being them to Spook Hill!
Located on South Mountain a mile above Burkittsville is Gathland State Park, the site of the Battle of South Mountain on Sept. 14, 1862 and the elaborate Victorian estate of author George Alfred Townsend ("Gath"). Since the 1950s, the State of Maryland has preserved Gathland's historic structures, including the War Correspondence Memorial Arch and maintains a museum and picnic facilities. Gathland SP is conveniently located on the Appalachian Trail.
We are a working pottery and contemporary craft gallery in a restored barn atop South Mountain. We are located at the west entrance to Gathland State Park near Burkittsville, MD, just 15 minutes west of Frederick and an hours drive from Baltimore and Washington, DC.
Visitors to P.J. Gilligan Dry Goods step back into time inside Burkittsville's oldest surviving and best preserved commercial structure. Built in 1821 by town founder Joshua Harley, the store offers offer products for use by Civil War Re-enactors, owners of period houses who want to create that authentic 1860’s look, and customers who just want a unique gift. On the day of the race, the store is usually open at 11 A.M.
Also in the Region:
Bill van Gilder Pottery (1 mile west of Burkittsville on top of South Mountain)
Brunswick Heritage Museum (6.5 miles from Burkittsville)
Antietam National Battlefield (11.5 miles from Burkittsville)
Harpers Ferry National Historical Park (11.5 miles from Burkittsville)
Washington Monument State Park Home to the first monument erected to honor our first president. (12 miles from Burkittsville)
Gambrill State Park (12.5 miles from Burkittsville)
C&O Canal National Historic Park (7 miles from Burkittsville)
Located mere minutes from Burkittsville, this Frederick County park offers wonderful indoor and outdoor nature center experiences and more than a mile of trail (some paved) to explore. There is ample seating for a nice post run picnic! Catoctin Creek Park is the location of the SMHS Makin' Hay 10K.